Suzuki, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Kymco, Yamaha, Honda, KTM, Kawasaki, Alpha Sports, Husqvarna, Sunline and Kingstar are popular and well known ATV manufacturing companies. We ran a Best ATV Brands poll and readers responded by choosing their top companies and favorite models.
Popular Four Wheeler Manufacturing Companies
– Arctic Cat – Now Owned by Textron – Arctic Cat is an ATV and Snowmobile manufacturer with an extensive product line in North America. The company was founded in 1960 and is based in Thief River Falls, Minnesota.
Textron is known around the world for its powerful brands such as Bell Helicopter, Cessna, Beechcraft, Hawker, Jacobsen, Kautex, Lycoming, E-Z-GO, Greenlee, Textron Off Road, Textron Systems, and TRU Simulation + Training. The deal closed in 2017.
– Can-Am – Can-Am is a motorcycle production Division of BRP, Bombardier Recreational Products, a Canadian corporation. They also produce a popular series of All Terrain Vehicles.
– Honda Power-sports – Honda produces one of the largest selections of popular ATVs and is active in the racing scene. The powersports division of Honda Motors is a small part of a global automotive company with a proven track record of excellence.
– Kawasaki ATVs – Kawasaki is a Japan based multinational company with products in many different markets including aerospace, motorcycles, ships and heavy equipment, but we love them for the quads!
– Kymco – KYMCO, or Kwang Yang Motor Co Ltd, is a Taiwanese manufacturer of motor scooters, motorcycles and ATVs with worldwide distribution. Kymco was founded in 1963 after splitting from Honda where they originally made parts for Honda.
– Polaris – Polaris Industries is an American manufacturer of snowmobiles, ATVs, and electric vehicles. Polaris is based in the city of Medina, Minnesota, USA.
– Suzuki – Suzuki Motor Corporation is a Japanese multinational corporation headquartered in Minami-ku, Hamamatsu, Japan, which specializes in manufacturing automobiles, four-wheel drive vehicles, motorcycles and of course All Terrain Vehicles.
– Yamaha – Yamaha Motor Company Limited is a Japanese manufacturer of motorcycles, marine products such as boats and outboard motors, and we love them for their ATVs too.
– KTM – A relatively newer player on the ATV scene but with a fast growing reputation. KTM-Sportmotorcycle AG is an Austrian motorcycle manufacturer, which was formed in 1992 but traces its foundation as early as in 1934. In 1992 the company was spun off from its parent company KTM when it ran into financial troubles.
Arctic Cat and Polaris ATVs are made in the USA. Several major ATV companies have headquarters and dealerships in the USA, however, their ATVs and/or parts are largely imported. It’s not uncommon for parts to be manufactured in one country and assembled in their intended market country. CAN-AM is the only Canadian maker of ATVs on this brands list.
Best ATV Brands – Poll Results
We ran a poll to get reader opinion on which ATV brands are the best. ATV Style readers have voted and the poll results are in. The winner for best ATV, in an extremely close race, is Honda! Now before you raise your fist and say “right on”, or shake it in my direction because you disagree, it’s important that you understand exactly how the best ATV vote process worked.
Poll Security: For starters the voting system was set up to monitor votes both by unique IP address and by standard cookie together with a time delay of 24 hours if someone tried to clear cookies or use a proxy to vote more than once. It appears that less than 0.4% of the votes were attempted from the same IP address and/or with the same cookie which is excellent.
Sampling Size: As you can see from the image above 11,483 votes were cast between December 24th 2009 and June 24th 2010, which is exactly 6 months. To ensure fairness the voting form was available site-wide from every page in rotation to avoid bias in the results.
Science: Was the best ATV poll scientific? No, it wasn’t. The question was simply “The Best ATV Is From” which is neither a fair question or indicative on any specific quality. The question was intentionally nondescript in order to gauge ONLY the general feeling of visitors about ATV companies in general. To be scientific the poll would have had to gather more information, such as which ATVs were owned by the voter, age, and a reason why. Hey, it’s just a fun poll!
Fairness: Was the best ATV poll fair? Absolutely, in getting visitors opinions about which ATV company they prefer anyway. You have to remember that in general it’s not possible to compare ATV companies against one another because some offer more ATV models than others, some spend more on advertising and race sponsorship etc.
So does that make the poll useless? Absolutely not, the poll took all of those things into consideration by default. If one company paid more in advertising and offered more models of ATVs you’d EXPECT them to have more votes and so from that point of view it’s not hard to see that 1,319 votes for CAN-AM or 358 votes for KTM is excellent. Neither company offers as many models to choose from as Honda and Yamaha. Voting results reflect a roughly 79% U.S., 20% Canada and 1% other country demographic.
Overall: Overall the poll was a great success, thank you to everyone who took a second to submit your favorite brand choice. Will the voting be run again? Absolutely, it would be fun to see it run next year or in a couple of years to see the difference in ATV enthusiast opinions over time. In case the image doesn’t load for whatever reason here is the voting results breakdown.
The best ATVs are not the same for all riders because we all have different goals. This ATV poll was to gather popular opinion in general only, please read the guides and reviews of individual ATVs to see which is right for you.
This poll was run from December 24th 2009 to June 24th 2010, a full 6 months, but things change quickly in the ATV world. It would be interesting to repeat the poll every 10 years to see if/how brand preferences change.
Best ATV Brands
Honda: 2837 votes
Yamaha: 2763 votes
Polaris: 1571 votes
CAN-AM: 1319 votes
Suzuki: 899 votes
Kawasaki: 833 votes
Arctic Cat: 831 votes
KTM: 358 votes
Other: 71 votes
See poll methodology at bottom of page
Remember, the Best ATVs for beginners are the ones they can control. Learning to ride on a weight appropriate ATV is important. Stay within your skill level and always wear a helmet while riding a four wheeler. Read more about the best budget ATVs too.