Yamaha YFZ 450 Specs and Review
The Yamaha YFZ 450 ATV is one of the lightest and most powerful sport ATVs ever manufactured. Countless magazine reviews, race titles and GNCC and quad-cross championships say so. It was crowned world four-stroke champion in 2005 and 2006 and was named sport ATV of the year by ATV Illustrated in 2007. Yamaha continues to produce the YFZ 450 to be just as potent and it continues to dominate the industry.
Bringing the Yamaha 450 to life is a 5 titanium valve engine upon a 350 lb total dry weight setup. With the industries best power to weight ratio out of any stock ATV on the market it’s no wonder that the YFZ450 is highly competitive in every race. It’s lightweight high-tensile steel frame with fully adjustable suspension provides exceptional handling. The YFZ450 was born to race and an extreme selection of high performance YFZ 450 parts are available.
The Yamaha Motor Company is offering a special edition YFZ450SE for 2008 with black and orange graphics. If you prefer red and gray graphics on your YFZ 450 you can chose those as well beginning in June 2007. Of course, the blue and white signature graphics are always an option too. Yamaha ATV enthusiasts will be styling into 2014 and beyond, check out this rooster tail.
YFZ 450 specs for 2008, one of its most popular years
- Engine : 449cc liquid-cooled with fan, 4-stroke, DOHC, 5 titanium valves
- Bore and Stroke : 95.0mm x 63.4mm
- Compression Ratio : 11.4:1
- Carb: Keihin 39mm FCR with throttle position sensor
- Ignition : DC – CDI
- Starter : Electric
- Transmission: 5-speed, wet multi-plate clutch
- Drive Train : 2WD, sealed O-ring chain, eccentric adjustment
- Front Suspension: Independent double wishbone, with piggy back High and Lo speed compression, rebound and threaded preload adjustment, 9.1 inches of travel.
- Rear Suspension: Cast aluminum swing arm with rebound, High and Lo speed compression threaded preload, 10.6 inches of travel.
- Front Brakes : Dual ventilated hydraulic disc, twin piston
- Rear Brakes : Ventilated hydraulic disc, twin piston
- Front Tires : AT21 x 7-10 radial
- Rear Tires : AT20 x 10-9 radial
- Overall Dimensions : L x W x H = 72.4 x 46.1 x 42.9 in
- Seat Height : 31.9 inches
- Wheelbase : 50.4 inches
- Ground Clearance : 4.5 inches
- Fuel Capacity : 2.6 gallons
- Dry Weight : 350 lbs
2009 was also a good year for the Yamaha YFZ 450R
The Yamaha YFZ450r is brand spanking new for 2009 the Yamaha YFZ450r is already making a big splash in racing circles. Dustin Nelson, winner of the 2007 ITP Quadcross Championship, says ‘The throttle response on this thing is amazing!’. Yamaha has upgraded several performance parts for 2009 and the early feedback from racers and fanatics is two thumbs way up. Take a look at more YFZ450r pictures…
The Yamaha YFZ450r is almost three inches wider than last years YFZ450 ATV and stance is motocross ready from stock. The Yamaha yfz450r frame is made from lightweight aluminum with a steel bottom frame that lets the engine sit lower to the ground resulting in a lower center of gravity. The suspension parts have been given more travel and upon closer review a Kashima coating covers the front shocks.
The YFZ450r Engine has also been beefed up in 2009 with an enlarged throttle body, a 42mm Mikuni vs last years 39mm, and a 12 hole fuel injector system. An ISC (Idle Speed Control) is also included for easy starting and warming up. The end result is the same torque, rpm and power we’ve come to expect from the YFZ450 but with improved response and better overall performance.
The Yamaha YFZ 450r has also made some improvements to comfort levels while riding. Not only will it take longer for you to get ‘throttle thumb’ from the more responsive intake system you’ll appreciate the softer plastics and new seat design. The YFZ450r seat is slightly narrower in the front while being wider in the rear to help keep you on the ATV while riding all out. You do plan on riding this quad all out right? Good, that’s how it’s built to be handled!
Yamaha’s YFZ450r ATV sits on Dunlop tires with steering handled by ProTaper handlebars under 4-way clamps. Huge 65mm foot pegs scream for you to get on them when you thrash the front KYB shocks over their full 9.8 inches of travel. The rear end travels a total of 11 inches in stock form thanks to equaly sturdy and fully adjustable KYB 46mm piggyback system.
The YFZ450r Swingarm is made of ultra strong gravity fed aluminum to keep it light and as you can see in the image above rear stopping power comes from a trick looking wave type rotor. 2009 Yamaha YFZ450r specs are as follows…
- 449cc, 4-Stroke Single, Liquid Cooled w/ Fan, Titanium 5-Valve DOHC
- Bore x Stroke 95mm x 63.4mm
- Compression Ratio – 11.6:1
- Yamaha Fuel Injection
- Ignition – TCI (Digital)
- Electric Starter
- 5-Speed Manual Clutch
- 2WD with Sealed O-Ring Chain and Eccentric Adjustment
- YFZ450r Dimensions
- L x W x H 70.7 x 48.8 x 41.9 in
- Seat Height: 31.9 in
- Wheelbase: 50.0 in
- Ground Clearance: 4.5 in
- Fuel Capacity: 2.6 gal
- Wet Weight: 405 lb
*The YFZ 450 is one of many ATVs manufactured by Yamaha.