About the Honda TRX450R ATV
Introducing in the red corner, the Honda TRX450R ATV with specs that include a liquid cooled 450cc engine and enough performance TRX450R parts to make owners happy.
The Honda TRX450R is not just another quad, the TRX450R is a result of over a decade of rumors, waiting and anticipation. The Honda TRX450R model is Honda's replacement for the FourTrax 250R model that was taken out of production in 1989. The 250R version dominated ATV racing circuits for over a decade and was the basis for many race proven ATV projects so when production was halted a void was created for fans.
Enter the TRX450R, which is simply called the 450r for short. It's part of the Honda SportTrax ATV family and has been well received. It shares the same engine that can be found in its two wheeled counterpart, the CRF450R motorcycle, but don't let that fool you because not many parts are interchangeable. The TRX450R engine was redesigned to stand up to the demands of a heavier 4 wheeler. Increased oil capacity, smaller steel valves, a stronger clutch pack and three-ring pistons were among the many improvements.
The TRX450R has several stock aluminum parts to help reduce weight including the front bumper, front fender stays, shifter, brake pedal and rear grab bar. The TRX450 is also easy to convert into a full on racer with its TRX front fender's ‘ears' being held on with four pop rivets and its LED brake light comes off in seconds. The engine oil can be checked through a sight glass, the air-filter maintenance is a snap and the swingarm's axle adjustment makes chain-slack adjustment easy.
Specs for the 2008 Honda TRX450r
- Engine: 450cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore and Stroke : 96.0mm x 62.0mm
- Compression Ratio :12.0:1
- 450r Valve Train: Unicam four-valve
- Carb : Keihin 40.0mm flat slide with throttle position sensor (TPS)
- Ignition : CD with electronic advance
- Starter : Electric (kick version available)
- Honda TRX450r Transmission : Five-speed
- Drive-line : O-ring sealed chain
- Front Suspension: Independent double-wishbone with Showa shocks, featuring adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression damping; 8.4-inch travel
- Rear Suspension: Pro-Link with single Showa shock featuring adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression damping; 9.0-inch travel
- Front Brakes : Dual hydraulic 174.0mm discs with twin-piston calipers
- Rear Brake : Single hydraulic 190.0mm disc with single-piston caliper
- Front Tires : 22 x 7-10 knobby radial
- Rear Tires : 20 x 10-9 knobby radial
- Length : 73.3 inches
- Width : 46.3 inches
- Height : 43.3 inches
- Wheelbase : 50.2 inches
- Seat Height : 32.8 inches
- TRX450r Ground Clearance : 4.4 inches
- Fuel Capacity : 2.7 gallons, including 0.8 gallon reserve